Monday, August 9, 2010

Moxie? Who, Me?

I have to say that one of the unexpected benefits of this St. Baldrick's adventure has been the flood of compliments sent my way.

Call me shallow, but it's lovely to hear nice things about yourself -- especially while you're still around to hear them, huh?! My favorite so far was being told I have "moxie." What a great word! It evokes the coolest of imagery, doesn't it -- a dame in a sharp suit and matching hat (picture Karen Allen at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"), saving the world with her unique combination of brains and bravery.

I don't see what I'm doing as especially brave. Shaving my head seems such a minor sacrifice compared to what families must experience after a cancer diagnosis -- sheer terror, while putting on a brave face for the rest of the family and the world at large. Parents aren't allowed to lose it, are they? That's why it's the hardest job in the world -- and the best, from what I'm told.

But shaving a head is just that -- a shiny bald skin-covered dome -- without your generous support of St. Baldrick's. If you've already taken the plunge, thanks. If not, please consider supporting a dame with moxie to raise much-needed research funds.

No comments:

Post a Comment